Know Your Judge: Citizen Input on District/County Judges 2012
On this page, Clear The Bench Colorado has collected comments and input from citizens across the state on judges in district and county courts.
(Evaluations of appellate courts – Colorado Supreme Court & Court of Appeals – are found on the Evaluations 2012 page)
Unless specifically noted, publication of any comments or recommendation on district or county court judges does NOT imply a recommendation by Clear The Bench Colorado; unfortunately, we have not had the resources (either funding or time) to review each of the 83 trial court judges on this year’s ballot. CTBC takes no official position on any of the district and county court judges seeking retention this year, and only provides the information below as a resource to inform voters.
CTBC has organized the comments received, by judicial district, as they have come in, as a community service to the hundreds of people who have called, E-mailed, Facebooked, or Tweeted asking for more information on their local judges as an alternative to the thoroughly discredited rubber-stamp “retain” recommendations purveyed by the “Blue Book”
Anyone wishing to comment on any judges on this year’s ballot is welcome to submit comments and responsible, documented articles of reasonable length (please, no rants or diatribes) as comments on this page or to our Sound Off! page.
(All judicial districts: another website of some help for reviewing District & County Judges in Colorado)
FIRST JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Gilpin, Jefferson Counties)
District Judge : Christopher J. Munch
- Judge Munch terminated foreclosure procedure to cover up illegal acts that unlawfully converted a mortgage contract to the purchaser of a lien. Homeowner’s right to redeem under Colorado law was voided and life savings stolen by “court order.” (Case 94CV1928, Burge v. Behr)
Judge Munch’s actions obstructed and delayed justice, holding that division of marital property could be made before complete disclosure of such property, and magnified the legal costs of a divorce proceeding by over $100,000. (Case 97DR1971, Corry v. Corry)
- Disagree with comments above. I have been in his [Judge Munch's] courtroom on the positive and on the negative end, and I have to say, he has to have been the fairest and most sincere Judge I have dealt with.
District Judge : Christie Bachmeyer Phillips
- Christie Bachmeyer Phillips is the most corrupt judge. She punishes decent, caring parents and hurts children. She is NOT stunning smart, she could not even pay attention during my hearing and even said she forgot why she was there, to decide what? She makes parents pay the most child support possible and she does not care about your rights to parent your own children. She is evil and is not interested in the truth, she takes one side and severly punishes the other parent. She does NOT care about the children’s best interests. She is not fair, lawyers have told me how awful she has been to their clients as well. I have no idea how she got a favorable review. She is morally corrupt and should not have the power to hurt families.
- Judge Christie Phillips is the most corrupt judge. She punishes decent, caring parents and hurts children. She is NOT stunning smart, she could not even pay attention during my hearing and even said she forgot why she was there, to decide what? She makes parents pay the most child support possible and she does not care about your rights to parent your own children. She is evil and is not interested in the truth, she takes one side and severly punishes the other parent. She does NOT care about the children’s best interests. She is not fair, lawyers have told me how awful she has been to their clients as well. I have no idea how she got a favorable review. She is morally corrupt and should not have the power to hurt families.
- Please vote out Judge Christie Phillips of Jefferson County. She did not hear my witnesses or care about my evidence. It was clear she had already made up her mind. She is very biased and does NOT follow the law. She hurts the innocent in her court room and she is a very evil person without a conscience. She needs to be voted out. PLEASE VOTE NO!
- Christine Phillips is rude, inconsiderate. Was inattentive, didn’t look at the case in front of her with an open mind. Didn’t see or care to see the one sided opinion of the “professional” with his own opinion. Ignored damning evidence against one side and continued to seemingly be in-compassionate towards the true victims in the case. I feel bad for all parties who come before her. Everyone loses, the only people who win are the courts, because no one is even closely happy to the compromise she sets up and they then must return to court to try and rectify her wrongs. The epitomy of red tape, corruption.
- I want to share a very unfortunate encounter that I had with a family law judge in Jefferson County. The judge is Christy Phillips and I’ll be glad to share my thoughts about her if you’d like me to call you or if you’d like for me to e-mail you. Let me know. Bottom line, she should not be returned to the bench whenever her term expires!!!!
Jefferson County Judge : Bradley Allen Burback
- “Judge Burback ruled the U.S. Constitution ‘inadmissible’ as evidence or reference in a case dealing with constitutional issues”
- “Judge Burback sentenced a man to 13 months jail for a probation violation even though he had been found innocent of the underlying charge (reference: “Fighting against injustice in Jefferson County“)
SECOND JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Denver County)
Comments: Judge Jordan has [per commenter] displayed racial bias (differential treatment of criminal defendants of different ethnicity)
THIRD JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Huerfano, Las Animas Counties)
District Judge : Claude W. Appel
Comments: Allegations of improper judicial practices by Appel reported in October, 2001. He was accused of using cocaine by Judge Haeger and attorney Bill Danks (Denver Post, 10/17/03 p. 4B).
Huerfano County Judge : Gary Robert Stork
No county court judges standing for retention in Las Animas County.
FOURTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (El Paso, Teller Counties)
- Judge Cisneros (4th JD) is a liberal, activist judge legislating from the bench.
She puts her own biases and opinions before the law, and often lets dangerous criminals off the hook if they match her social and political views. Vote this one out.
FIFTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Clear Creek, Eagle, Lake, Summit Counties)
SIXTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Archuleta, La Plata, San Juan Counties)
SEVENTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Delta, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Montrose, Ouray, San Miguel Counties)
EIGHTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Jackson, Larimer Counties)
NINTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Garfield, Pitkin, Rio Blanco Counties)
TENTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Pueblo County)
ELEVENTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Chaffee, Custer, Fremont, Park Counties)
TWELFTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Alamosa, Conejos, Costilla, Mineral, Rio Grande, Saguache Counties)
THIRTEENTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Kit Carson, Logan, Morgan, Phillips, Sedgwick, Washington, Yuma Counties)
FOURTEENTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Grand, Moffat, Routt Counties)
FIFTEENTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Baca, Cheyenne, Kiowa, Prowers Counties)
SIXTEENTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Bent, Crowley, Otero Counties)
SEVENTEENTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Adams, Broomfield Counties)
EIGHTEENTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert, Lincoln Counties)
- At times she literally screamed at the father in a divorce case (Case 00DR2302, In Re: Pentecoff);
- At other points in the hearing she made psychological findings and qualified them only on the basis that she, herself, was a parent and had read Dr. Spock.
- In violation of rules of evidence (Rules of Evidence 803(8): Previous court records are relevant and valid) she refused evidence from a previous court proceeding
Comment: Judge Marilyn Antrim is emotional, does not know Colorado law and is talked about poorly within the legal community. Antrim has a reputation for contradicting herself and her decisions. Antrim is openly biased and rude to defendants while court is in session. She currently has a ruling under the Colorado Appeals court that will undoubtedly be overturned and has cost the tax payers unlimited amount of money. Judge Antrim should NOT be retained and would hopefully get removed from the bench.
Comment: Judge Antrim is unabashed about refusing to uphold the law if she feels sorry for one of the parties and openly stated so. Refusing to oust parents of a disabled adult woman out of pity, she allowed them to brazenly refuse to pay a judgment, transfer property into a trust, transfer it out of a trust long enough to encumber the property and then transfer it back into the trust rendering the parents uncollectible. When told that these people sold a property for $178,000 in cash but refused to pay the judgment against them, her response was “you have to pay judgments or people get mad”. Dah? Despite all of this she openly stated that she was “reluctant” to find a fraudulent conveyance. Being in her courtroom was useless and a great travesty of justice took place. This woman should not be on the bench.
- “I find the performance review concerning Judge Cross perplexing in respect to his “alleged” demeanor toward “pro-se” litigants. Making sure they are treated fairly is pure bovine extract and reminds me of the accolades the performance committee laid on Judge Blair and Gilmore. Where would the committee get that information anyway?
In one instance, Justice Cross ruled on a motion for a case that was not even in front of him; was not ripe for a ruling ( ruled on it 5 days after it was filed with no opportunity to respond) and all the parties were not notified of the motion or ruling until after the Supreme Court got involved. And to top it all off; according to court records; he made the decision on a Sunday during the half-time of the Superbowl! (2008CV202587) Diligence or judicial comaraderie? I believe it obvious that his true agenda lies not in providing blind justice but his own prerogative of what is right or wrong.”
- ” I have a special plea -”Cut Chris Cross!” He is a district 18 circuit judge who apparently interprets family court based solely on his own broken relationships. He often spoke of himself and his divorce throughout the hearing while ignoring the facts.”
- “Judge Chris Cross is a level headed judge who came up from years on the County bench. He is experienced, good demeanor and basically does a good job though not without excessive expediency in some of his decisions. Good command of legal theory and not overly bound by procedure – retain this guy.”
- Judge Mark Hannen is a dim witted procedure bound judge whose command of legal theory is missing. He threw out a very large case because of an electronic filing error.
- I URGE you to vote out Judge Hannen in the Eighteenth Judicial District. He is a woman hater! I agree with the dim witted comment above! Please do not retain him!
- In contrast to previous comments, I’ve found Judge Hannen to be a thoughtful, diligent, and fair judge with a good understanding of the law. He deserves another term.
- Judge Hannen thoughtful, diligent, fair????????????? Far from it……..he ignores the law and facts of the case! He puts women out of their homes, whether they have small children or permanent disabilities. VOTE HIM OUT!
- Judge Justin Mark Hannen was criticized for dismissing a case because the electronic filing was not filled correctly. While I strongly agree that criminals should not be released on such technicalities, the fact is such things are part of our laws in effort to protect the innocent.
The bottom line is the laywers are at fault here. They should NEVER assume that a big electronic file transmitted properly just because they “didn’t get an error”! That excuse is very much like “the dog ate my homework”. Judge Hannen performed his duty to dismiss the case.
This demonstrates that we need to change the law, not throw out judges that uphold the law.
Arapahoe County Judge : Honorable Addison Lloyd Adams
Arapahoe County Judge : Honorable Alex Bencze
Arapahoe County Judge : Honorable Christine Noel Chauche
Arapahoe County Judge : Honorable Anne M. Ollada
No county court judges standing for retention in Douglas, Elbert and Lincoln Counties.
NINETEENTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Weld County)
District Judge : Honorable James F. Hartmann
District Judge : Honorable Elizabeth Beckers Strobel
District Judge : Honorable Todd Taylor
District Judge : Honorable Dinsmore Tuttle
No county court judges standing for retention in Weld County.
TWENTIETH JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Boulder County)
District Judge : Honorable D. D. Mallard
- I would EMPHATICALLY encourage those in Judicial District 20 to vote AGAINST retaining D. D. Mallard as a district judge. Judge Mallard has a history of anti-Christian, anti-family rulings which I can attest to first hand. Please vote against her re-appointment.
- 10/21/08 – Boulder Justice Center – Judge Mallard during a hearing for a increase of Child Support…. grants a mother who was not even residing in Colorado (motioned from Florida!) to change the child’s name in an attempt to hide the child, and assisted mother in hiding the child from the father because father refused to come up with $10K that mother was demanding. Father requested that Mallard provide the father a address of where his child was be hidden, Mallard refused responding…”You don’t have a right to know”. Mallard then took the liberty during this hearing to award $8,250 in “Attorney Fees” yet refused father proof that there were even Attorney Fees…. Neither party was represented by a Attorney….
Mallard cannot & wiil not offer a reason for hiding this child, even when asked by a member of the US House Judiciary Committee. The Father is still searching to find his son years later.D.D. Mallard has a long history of these rights violating and corrupt decisions, yet continues to sit behind that bench. Not too long ago she complimented a confessed rapist on his promising future as he was plea bargaining his rape charge in court. The victim of the rape was present and must have been mortified by this Judges outrageous behavior. She must go & now. VOTE NO FOR D.D MALLARD
TWENTY-FIRST JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Mesa County)
TWENTY-SECOND JUDICIAL DISTRICT (Dolores, Montezuma Counties)